Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Life As I Knew It





In the beginning of 2004, you would have found me with heels dug in at my little 800 sq ft villa in West Palm Beach. Following a divorce and living for a couple of years in an apartment with two daughters, two dogs and a cat, I had worked hard enough to enjoy home ownership. I had a good but stressful job, one daughter out of the nest and another soon to follow.


While doing my real estate search, my only priority was a yard for my Australian Shepherd, Buddy. Being that he was aged, size was not a real concern, but after years of climbing stairs he deserved it. In the land of McMansions and Home Owner Associations and with a meager budget, this was no easy feat. My search lasted well over a year.


One day late in 2003, I caught an ad in the real estate section of the paper that said "Dog Lovers Welcome". Visiting the site, I found a small 24 unit community in the process of being rehabbed by a contractor. Tucked back off a main road and surrounded by single family homes, Margarita Villas had become a drug dealers haven and the city had forced a sale by the owner in an effort to combat the crime. The homes were attached three to a row, simple in layout and options but very livable. And each one had a yard. And best of all, no dog restrictions so prevalent in the county. The contractor has taken steps to clean the place up and make the entire development livable on his meager budget. Great starter place for all.


I bought and settled in. My home was a bare slate, contractors paint, cheap carpeting and no landscaping or grass to speak of. I quickly made friends with a few of the people that lived there. I threw myself into home projects and landscaping. In the back of my mind, I was always looking at the resale value of everything I did. Doing most of the work myself with a few helping hands along the way, I saved tons of money and learned alot.


My yard became a tropical paradise that Florida is known for. Orchids, pond with waterfall, fountains, blooming bougainvillea, butterfly gardens. It was serenity and a great escape for me and friends alike. On the inside, I had replaced the carpeting with Pergo like flooring, upgraded paint and mouldings. Other than a little tweaking, my job was pretty much done.

I was proud of my hard work and loved my home.


2 comments:

  1. Super cute... but I could not have done Florida... I wonder what I'm doing where I am!

    ReplyDelete